Saturday, February 1, 2014

Day 30 +1: it's good to be "rich"


Last night I finished working on some preparation for a class I was teaching this morning and I decided what I needed to do was go to the grocery store to prepare for this morning.

So at 11:45 PM I was running through HEB with a basket on my arm grabbing up things that I hadn't been able to have for the last 30 days.

What did I get?

"Seasonal salad 36 oz" - $11.88
blackberries 6oz          - $  1.50
full pint blueberries       - $  3.48
Chobani Greek Yogurt - $  3.88  (4 pack)
Ben & Jerries Red Velvet Cake Ice Cream - $ 3.46

Yes, less the Ben & Jerries, the things I really wanted more than anything else were fresh fruits. I'm embarassed to admit it's not like before this experiment that I normally had a fridge full of blueberries. But I do think there was something to the fact that it was running in my mind for the last month that even if I had wanted to have them, I couldn't. And the surest way to make me want something or want to do something is to tell me that I can't. I may be a comptroller by trade, but I am allergic to rules.

So what was breakfast on Day 1 post-$3 Diet? I pile of fresh fruit (about $3 worth) and a Greek yogurt ($0.95) - for a total of about $4.

I also had a big pot of Dunkin Donuts coffee - about $0.40 worth. It was so smooth!


We had a surprise birthday party for my eldest daughter - and a houseful of girls this morning as a result - and I got up early to make Belgian waffles for them - which I totally intended to indulge in, but didn't really have the time because I had to teach (via teleconference - and because I was busy with my fruit and yogurt). But I did have the coffee. Thank goodness I don't have to drink that rocket fuel anymore. It is good to be "rich".

I may have had  couple of beers today as well. And I may have just come home from a pizza shop down the street where I may have indulged in some fried food (which might have been jalapeno poppers and onion rings), but since I'm no longer required to report that part of my diet, we'll just leave that as a "hypothetical".

I'm processing what I learned about myself and about nutrition over the next couple of days. I hope you'll hang with Kerryn and I as we process the results of this experiment. But it's good to be done.

1 comment:

  1. which I totally intended to indulge in, but didn't really have the time because I had to teach (via teleconference - and because I was busy with my fruit and yogurt). But I did have the coffee. diet food delivery

    ReplyDelete