Sunday, December 22, 2013

a deal and a dud

One of the things I love to do on a quiet Sunday morning is bake biscuits for the family. Being a guy in a house full of ladies, I can be dressed and ready in about 1/10th the time, which means I can sleep in, bake biscuits, and still have time to blog.

Like today.


Now biscuits are classic, old-time-y food, and I figured that must mean they carry a lot of bang for their buck. So here's how the biscuits stack up:

10 oz flour - $0.24
8 oz buttermilk - $0.50 (could have got it cheaper if I had bought a larger bottle)
3 tsp baking powder - $ 0.05 (guestimate)
1/2 tsp salt - < $0.01
1/4 tsp baking soda - $0.01 (guestimate)
1/2 C shortening - $0.32

total: $1.13 for 10 biscuits --> $0.11 per biscuit.

recipe estimates 140 calories per biscuit.

that's pretty economical.

now the dud is... my daughter had a little holiday party last night and one of the girls brough one of my favorite bad, store bought, baked goods - loft house cookies!


each of these mini-loft house cookies (about 1/5 inches in diameter) loads 130 calories and 4.5 grams of fat. Who can say no to these little packages of modern love?

Not me, I'll tell you. I ate four of them before I finished making the biscuits.

So what do you think Kerryn? Do I get to keep biscuits on the island?

3 comments:

  1. You didn't hear the dietitian voice in your head telling you "No, don't do it!"? 520 calories later, I guess not. Biscuits can stay. Sorry, but the cookies have to go! Go cook your squash!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The problem is I don't have a dietician voice in my head! It's all external motivation at this point. I need to get some internal motivation!

      Delete
  2. How much of this project is about economics and how much about health? We've got plenty of cheap fats here. Sugars, too. On the other hand, apples are on sale at $1.79/lb at BigY this week, nearly a dollar an apple. $1.79 buys half a gallon of vegetable oil at Walmart. I don't think oils and sugars are so easy to come by in the developing countries whose diets were the model for Nathan Pritikin's diet, when he first cured himself of heart disease. http://youtu.be/qOj4rzSkqok

    ReplyDelete