Saturday, December 21, 2013

Mark's first recipe!


Mark mentioned in a previous Post that he typically doesn’t pay much attention to food costs at the grocery store and more or less buys what he wants to eat. I have to admit that I do much of the same as I shop for food. Generally, I will write a list of foods I need for various meals I intend to make for the week, but rarely has the cost of a food item stopped me from purchasing it.

Mark’s challenge has increased my awareness of just how much food costs, particularly of fresh fruits and vegetables, can vary throughout the year. I recently found an old food receipt from the summer in my car. My kids recycled it into a colorful art project, but beneath the Crayola colors I could still make out the prices of some of the produce I purchased that summer day. The blueberries were $2.45 for 12 oz. I use this as an example since blueberries are a common staple in our home. It’s rare to open our refrigerator and not see blueberries! My kids love them! Unfortunately, when I purchase the same amount of blueberries during the winter months, I usually pay between $4-7. The point I am trying to make here is that purchasing produce in season can definitely stretch your food dollar, as you can see from my own experience.

Since Mark is starting his $3 a day challenge in January, during the winter months, we can stretch his food dollar more by incorporating seasonal vegetables into his daily meals. Winter fruits and vegetables include: bananas, lemons, grapefruit, oranges, pears, mushrooms, onions and leeks, potatoes, sweet potatoes, yams, turnips, and winter squash.

Mark’s first recipe to try is one for good ole’ Mac and Cheese. Yes, I’m trying to ease into the whole “healthy eating” concept with Mark since he’s not used to eating this way. So, I didn’t want to make the first recipe too “green.” This Mac and Cheese has a unique twist, though, as it incorporates one of our winter veggies: winter squash. Trust me, if you didn’t know the squash was in there, you would think it was regular Mac and Cheese! I hope you like it!

I can’t remember where I originally found this recipe as I’ve used it several times and have evolved it into what it is below. It serves about 4 people, depending on how hungry everyone is. As for Mark, just save the leftovers for 3 more meals.

Here it is:

8 oz. whole grain pasta (buy store brand to save money)
1 tbsp butter/margarine
1 tbsp whole wheat flour
2 cups cubed winter squash
3/4 cup shredded cheese (It’s cheaper to buy the block of cheese and shred yourself. Cheddar is preferred, but if another type of cheese is cheaper, go for it!)

Boil pasta, drain, and keep the pasta water. Use a steamer to steam the squash until it’s soft and will easily mash. In another pan, melt the butter. After it is liquid, add the flour and cook for 1-2 minutes. Add in about a cup of pasta water along with your steamed squash. Mash the squash until smooth. Add the cheese and stir until it melts. Finally, add the cooked pasta.

If you have extra squash, use it in another meal as a starchy side dish. An easy second use could be to steam it first, then transfer it to another pot, mash it, add salt, pepper, and butter. Eat it like mashed potatoes!

1 comment: