Thursday, December 19, 2013

Start date: January 2.

The plan is coming together.

I started thinking about this project on the drive in to work today. I recently read an article in which the author described trying to live on $5/day.

Three dollars sounds more challenging. I've seen it posted in different places that the food stamp benefit is $3/day. I don't think that's accurate, but there are certainly people in the world - about a billion - who live on a dollar a day or less. And that is for all their needs - not just food.

My former student and friend Dr. Matt Fandre, M.D., has agreed to run some lab work on me prior to the start of the experiment, and will run the same tests at the end to see if there is an impact on my health.

My colleague here in the Army Medical Department Center and School (AMEDDC&S) Graduate School from the U.S. Military-Baylor Graduate Program in Nutrition, Kerryn Story, MPH, RD, CSSD, LD, will be co-blogging with me, discussing just how bad my choices are. 

This should be interesting, because I really don't eat a very healthy diet. I really like McDonald's. I really like Diet Coke. I really like craft beer. I really like pretty much anything with a lot of fat and sugar. Most of this I will not be able to afford on $3/day. 

So, start date is January 2nd, 2014.  

Before then I will be sharing my preparations and planning, and Kerryn will be giving me some coaching.

1 comment:

  1. It will be interesting to follow your journey Mark! I lived on a $25 a week food budget in some of my lean days years ago. Good luck & stay healthy!

    ReplyDelete