Saturday, January 11, 2014

Day 10: corn bread yum

Started Day 10 off with a 4.5 mile walk with Kandie and the dog (about 400 calories). And a final slice of the wheat bread and peanut butter ($0.05 and $0.06).

Came home and had coffee and baked some corn bread from scratch


corn bread
flour 1.25 C  $ 0.15
orn meal 3/4 C  $ 0.10
sugar 1/4 C  $ 0.06
canola oil 1/4C  $ 0.10
1 egg  $ 0.16
skim milk 1 C  $ 0.19
baking powder 2 tsp  $ 0.01
salt 1/2 tsp  $ 0.01
 $ 0.78
9 servings  $ 0.09

I estimate calories at about 198/slice

I had one slice after it came out of the oven.

So breakfast was:

wheat bread  $ 0.05
peanut butter  $ 0.05
coffee  $ 0.13
sugar  $ 0.01
corn bread  $ 0.09
total                  $ 0.33

Lunch was the other half of the sesame peanut noodles - $0.35; 581 calories.

Dinner was a new recipe - sweet and sour beans - also from the American Heart Association cook book.

sweet and sour beans
can pinapple  $ 0.69
brown sugar, 1/4 C  $ 0.09
cornstarch 2 tbsp  $ 0.01
2 tsp sherry  $ 0.01
1 tsp soy  $ 0.01
ginger 1/8 tsp  $ 0.01
pinto beans 6 oz  $ 0.30
green pepper  $ 0.33
onion, 5 oz  $ 0.31
 $ 1.76
This was the recipe I meant to make last night. The recipe calls for canned beans - but dried are cheaper - and that was the problem - using dried beans requires soaking and cooking, rather than just heating. So I took the beans I had soaked yesterday and cooked them in the crock pot this afternoon. 

The recipe is pretty simple - mix the dry ingredients in a pot, add the juice from the can of pineapple and the other wet ingredients, cook until thickened. Add the pineapple, beans, green pepper, and onion. Cook 3-4 minutes until warmed through. You don't want the onions and pepper to get soft, just warm. This is meant to be like a sweet and sour chicken dish, so the veges should still be crunchy.

Supposed to make 6 servings, I thought it was more like 4, so I had a quarter of it - $0.44. We had it over brown rice ($0.03). Hot tea on the side ($0.02).

So dinner was $0.49.

Kandie and I both liked the recipe. It's not sweet and sour chicken, but it wasn't bad. I'm still struggling a bit with pinto beans (or beans in general) as a main ingredient/meeat substitute. I know they're way better for me than meat, but still, if it weren't for the dollar limit, I'd have preferred chicken. I didn't take a picture because it was pretty yellow and not very attractive. Beans - what do you want?

I had a piece of corn bread in the afternoon - $0.09; and a cup of tea - $0.02.

After dinner I ate the second orange Kerryn had given me from one of the other dietician's trees, a banana ($0.15), and had another cup of tea ($0.02).

Total cost for the day: $1.46
Total calories for the day: 1,876

Rounding out the triad:

I mentioned walking - 4.5 miles - about 1:10'ish - so 4 MPH - loseit says that's about 400 calories.

Sleep last night was good - almost 8 hours. Today was a chilled out day, working on class materials. 

No comments:

Post a Comment