Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Day 27: roast cauliflower in the house

I took a break from the $3 special and decided to have peach yogurt (6oz, $0.37) and a banana for breakfast ($0.15), and coffee ($0.13), of course.

Breakfast total: $0.65

I had a hard boiled egg ($0.15) mid-morning as a snack.

Lunch was left-over bratwursts ($0.75) and left over brown rice ($0.05).

In the afternoon I brought some bread ($0.08) and cheddar cheese ($0.22) for a snack.

When I got home from work, we had the macaroni salad again (12 oz, $0.43) and roasted cauliflower ($0.31) with garam masala ($0.05). Garam masala is a blend of Indian spices - very good on cauliflower. Goes in a number of Indian dishes I like to cook.


With dinner I took another calcium + vitamin D supplement ($0.09).

Dinner total: $0.88.

I'm not a huge cauliflower fan, it doesn't give me pleasure to eat it. It's really one of those foods I choke down because I know it's good for me. We'd had this head in the house for almost a week before I finally felt like I had the room in my diet to financially fit it. I think if I were to continue this diet, that is how I would try to operate - intentionally leave some financial room for fresh vegetables at the end of the day.

I've been learning as I go along what works for me. Thirty days is not enough time to make things automatic, but eventually I'm confident the choice set would become automatic and much of the intellectual effort would diminish. I feel it beginning to happen now - I don't stress about the planning so much now. I've developed some stand-bys that work - oatmeal, PB&J, a chunk of cheese.

After dinner I had some tea ($0.02) and some bread ($0.08) with peanut butter ($0.05) and jelly ($0.03).

Total cost for the day: $2.97

Total calories for the day: 1,815

Rounding out the triad -

Exercise: 30 minutes on the stairmaster (392 cal); 25 minutes hill climbing (319 cal).

Sleep: up early to do some reading - so about 6.5 hours.


No comments:

Post a Comment