Monday, January 20, 2014

Day 18: a chicken in this pot

Day 18 was a Sunday, so I just had a slice of the cornbread I made the day before and some coffee for breakfast.

coffee  $ 0.13
sugar  $ 0.01
cornbread  $ 0.10
total                    $0.24

For lunch I used the last of the basic white bread I had


to make tuna fish sandwiches.


I mixed up some onions and celery in the salad.


bread  $ 0.07
tuna  $ 0.37
celery  $ 0.06
onion  $ 0.10
mayo  $ 0.05
tums  $ 0.04
total:                    $0.68

Kandie and I went to the grocery store and I finally gave in to my craving for pickles. And I went all out:


These aren't just ordinary dill picks - these are the huge kind of pickles that you see sold in movie theaters down here in the South. These will make your cheeks suck in and your lips pucker. I caved because the cost was about $0.03/oz. Each pickle is about 4 oz, so each costs about $0.14. A little pricey, but I really wanted one. I usually chow down on pickles when I'm dieting because they are virtually empty of calories and solve my craving to munch. With their high sodium content, it's clearly not a particularly healthy solution. So this is one more way that the cash limitation is actually helping me live healthier.

For dinner I decided to make chicken pot pie. Pretty simple -


Fried up some chicken with a bit of oil


added frozen vegetables and a can of cream of chicken, and then filled the can with milk and added that. Cooked it down a bit, then put it in a rectangular baking dish


and put a full recipe of biscuit dough on top. When you cook it, you want to put another pan underneath because some of the liquid bubbles over.



I divided the pan into six sections, for a cost of about $0.64 per serving. 

I realized I had plenty of cash left in the day, and I was hungry, so I helped myself to a second serving!

Chicken pot pie cost estimate:

flour  $ 0.24
shortening  $ 0.30
sugar  $ 0.01
milk  $ 0.39
baking powder  $ 0.02
chicken  $ 1.50
mixed veges  $ 0.73
soup mix  $ 0.64
canola  $ 0.03
total  $ 3.85
So dinner was 1/3 of the pan, or $1.28. 

Snacks during the day:

bread   $ 0.03
jelly  $ 0.03
pickle  $ 0.14
tea  $ 0.02
total:                   $0.22

Total cost for the day: $2.42
Total calories:             1,568

Rounding out the triad -

Exercise: It was such a nice day I decided to go out on my bike for a long ride. I went for about 50 minutes at a fairly hard pace, so Loseit estimates total calories at 519.

Sleep: about 7 hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment