Thursday, January 16, 2014

Day 15: Pizza Rustica

Day 15 was much saner than Day 14.

I bought a bucket of HEB brand strawberry yogurt (32 oz; $1.98 - about $0.06/oz) yesterday, so I packed 6 oz for breakfast, and a banana, and brought it to work. I didn't lose any of it.

Still no sign of the egg.

yogurt 6oz  $ 0.37
banana  $ 0.15
total                    $0.52

Yogurt is actually a healthy food that I like. But I don't really care for the HEB light version. I like Chobani Greek yogurt. But at $1 for a 6 oz cup, I can't afford that right now.

No smoothy today - maybe tomorrow. but at $0.52, I don't know if I can afford to make it too much more expensive - like with blueberries at $0.20/oz.

I had to go to a luncheon meeting downtown today, so I had to eat there. Since I didn't have a choice, I'm charging myself for the food as if I made it. Luckily it was pretty simple food - chicken breast, green beans, and rice. Oh, and a roll. I also had some tea. So lunch worked out to:

grilled chicken  $ 0.75
green beans  $ 0.24
rice  $ 0.02
roll  $ 0.08
tea  $ 0.02
total                   $1.11

Dinner was Pizza Rustica - something I thought of a few days ago.

Pizza rustica is kind of like an Italian quiche - or maybe you could call it egg pizza.


The real recipe calls for fresh tomatoes, but fresh tomatoes are too expensive for me. So I bought a 28oz can of diced tomatoes ($1.08), drained them, then fried them in my wok with a tbsp of canola and a little garlic powder for about 20 minutes on low to take the edge off. The dough is homemade, of course ($0.34).


The next step is to add an egg, cheese, and cream topping. I used 4 eggs ($0.63), 4 oz of mozzarella ($0.94), and instead of cream I used 4 oz of ricotta ($0.48). bake for 30-35 minutes at 375 and ...


Two slices (about a 1/4 of the pie) cost $0.88 and had 506 calories.


Left overs - yay! Pizza for breakfast...


I also made my vinegar and oil cole slaw again, and had that after the pizza.

Dinner sums up to:

pizza rustica  $ 0.88
cabbage 6 oz  $ 0.09
oil 1/2 tbsp  $ 0.01
sugar  $ 0.01
vinegar  $ 0.03
total                   $1.03

Through the evening I had some bread and peanut butter, as well as tea.

snacks:

bread  $ 0.03
tums  $ 0.04
bread  $ 0.04
peanut butter  $ 0.11
tea  $ 0.04
total                    $0.26

Day total:  $2.91
Calories:   1,607

The chicken was expensive and doesn't have many calories. 

Rounding out the triad:

Exercise - 4.5 mile run with the dog - slow pace - about 564 calories.

Sleep - good - about 7.5 hours.

1 comment:

  1. That pizza looks so good, I'm going to have to figure out a vegan version and try to make it.

    ReplyDelete