Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Day 20: It's crouching, it's hidden, you know what it is...

It's back - Crouching Macaroni, Hidden Squash for dinner.



This time I used a mix of whole wheat and regular pasta to make it with. just don't like the whole wheat pasta. But when it's mixed with regular pasta, I can get by.


You know, for a healthy dish, it really is pretty good. Kerryn hit a homerun with that one. 

But I get ahead of myself.

Breakfast was the $3 Diet standard:

oatmeal  $ 0.10
milk  $ 0.19
coffee  $ 0.13
tums   $ 0.04
total:                          $ 0.46

Lunch was the last of the left over chicken pot pie (($0.64).

In the afternoon I had a bowl of yogurt ($0.37) and a giant pickle ($0.14).

Like I said, dinner was Crouching Macaroni, Hidden Squash ($0.42).

A little after dinner snack since I had both cash and calories to spare.


Frozen vegetables are quite good. I find corn and peas especially seem to freeze well. I suppose some veges don't, but those do. Frozen corn is more expensive than canned corn, but it really tastes nearly fresh. Five ounces is only about $0.30 and 140 calories.

And then a little later I got the urge to make a baked banana.


I had read about these once when I was a kid and made them once or twice - but heavily laiden with chocolate sauce and marshmallow. And then I realized that it was just so much more fun to have chocolate sauce and marshmallow on ice cream that I never made them again. But last night I was thinking it would be nice to have a fried banana, which I really like. I guess I was still thinking about the plantains. But then I didn't want to have to own up to having fried the banana to Kerryn, so I thought I would bake it.

I did a search last night for recipes and found this one on a site I thought was "chefinmaking.com" - but now when I go to look for it, all I get are errors. Very weird. If it were possible to think there was some banan recipe conspiracy going on, I would think the internet was trying to trick me. There are lots of baked banana recipes out there, but the one I made last night called for slicing up the banana, then pouring either a tablespoon of lemon or orange juice over the banana and baking it with lots of cinnamon and sugar.

The juice thing just sounded weird, but I complied and used about a teaspoon of lemon juice. I guess I sort of complied because I thought it just sounded weird. Weird, I say.

It actually worked out nice. I baked the banana in the toaster oven for about 20 minutes. They softened a bit. And stuck to the foil. At which point I made a mental note to share with you that if you do this at home, spray some cooking spray down first.

They were tasty. Baking the banana changes the flavor a bit - more sweet, and less chewy. I still like fried bananas better, but this was pretty good.

And after the corn and the banana, I still had more money and calories (this was one of those days where I had an oddly low calorie count at the end of the day), so I had a one ounce slice of cheddar cheese.

The block of cheddar I bought, or should I say "cheddar", had a sticker on it that said "natural cheese". Now what kind of cheese needs a sticker that says, it's natural? It kind of makes one wonder just how close it must be to something not natural. Someone needs to talk to that marketing department.

So snacks for the day:

bread  $ 0.05
yogurt  $ 0.37
pickle  $ 0.14
baked banana  $ 0.15
sugar  $ 0.01
lemon juice  $ 0.01
cheddar cheese  $ 0.24
total:                          $0.97

Day total cost:          $2.79
Day total calories:    1,741

Rounding out the triad -

Exercise: I ran 4.5 miles with the dog in the afternoon - about 563 calories. Such a beautiful sun shiny day.

Sleep: Adequate - about 7 hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment