Saturday, January 25, 2014

Day 23: recovery

As much as Day 22 was a low point, Day 23 was one of the better days, despite the fact that we had an ice storm here in South Texas that left my car coated in about a quarter inch of ice.



I grew up with ice and snow, but I am not used to this anymore. The ice on my car was so thick, I couldn't get the door to open. Eventually I was able to get in through the hatchback and turn on the car to get it warming up and melting off the ice. Crazy.

I needed to start the day a step ahead to get my mojo back, so all I had was my coffee and a peanut butter ($0.11) sandwich on 3.6 oz of fresh bread ($0.11). 

Halfway to work, my boss called to tell me he had canceled classes for the day, so I turned around and went home. 

Lunch was the other half of the pizza ($0.54) from the night before and some hot tea ($0.02). 

Inspired by the Story Crock Pot's activity, I made crock pot lasagna for dinner. 


When I was growing up, all kinds of things went into lasagna. Boiled eggs, sausage, shredded beef. I happened to have a boiled egg, so I sliced that up. I threw in some peas ($0.06/oz), the last of the spaghetti sauce we had in the house, and some diced tomatoes, 8 oz of ricotta, 


and topped it off with 2 oz of mozzarella. 

The end state of lasagna coming out of a crock pot isn't very pretty, but you know what, it worked out pretty well!

Total cost: $2.99. I ate 1/4 of it. I estimate 257 cal for my serving, at $0.75. I had tea with dinner - it was so cold, I basically wanted to crawl inside the tea cup. 

After dinner, I was only at $1.71 for the day (I had a bit of bread as a snack in the afternoon - $0.03), but I was also only at about 1200 cal for the day.

With all that extra money, I decided to have a bowl of yogurt (6 oz, $0.36). And then, since I still had money, I made myself a bowl of oatmeal with milk, with strawberries! Yeah, Day 22 - you can take that!

And since I still had money, I had a slice of cheddar cheese - 1.2 oz, $0.28. Oh yeah!

At the end of the day, $2.92, and 1,574 calories.

You know, it's funny how I basically ate the same as the day before, but felt so much better about it. 

Rounding out the triad -

Exercise - I went a little crazy on the stairmaster - 42 minutes for 600 calories. And then I went over to the treadmill and put in another 20 minutes of walking - about 10 minutes uphill (15 degree grade) for 200 more calories. 

Sleep - I actually slept in a bit because I knew we were having a several hour delay on post - so about 8 hours. 

No comments:

Post a Comment