Thursday, January 16, 2014

Day 14: I lost my egg.

Day 14 was going to be a challenge regardless. I had to teach at Trinity in a building I had never been to, and I had to be there for 0800.

The thing that is funny is when I lived in the DC area, I had a great commute. Twenty minutes from my house to work. Zip, and I was in.

I move to Texas, the land of endless open space, and my commute blows.

Knowing this, I got up early, made my breakfast - or what was supposed to be my breakfast - oatmeal with milk - and a PB&J sandwich and a banana for lunch because I was going to run from teaching at Trinity back to my office at Ft. Sam so I could have a teleconference with Baylor.

I also grabbed myself a hard boiled egg that I had boiled the night before.

The plan was to get to Trinity early, find the building, eat my oatmeal in the car, have the egg mid-morning, and the PB&J for lunch, and the banana mid-afternoon.

So here how it actually went:

Get out the door about 10 minutes late (0710) because cooking and packing up in addition to getting all my other crap together took longer than I planned. Hit horrible traffic from the get go. Arrive at Trinity at 0745. Find the building pretty easily, but it's 0745. And I haven't found the actual classroom yet. So forget about the oatmeal. I grab the egg and head in figuring if I have time, I'll eat it.

Teaching goes well, but no, of course there isn't time. Egg in hand, I head back down to the car. Zip over to Ft. Sam. Go to head up to my office.

Where is the egg?

I have no idea.

Now I'm running late. Make my call, eat the banana while I'm talking. See how this plan is going?

Still hungry after the phone call. Eat half the PB&J.

Head out to go to the gym. Run into my boss in the parking lot. Don't make it to the gym. Go back to my car to look for the egg. No egg. At least, none that can be found.

Come back to the office, finish of the rest of the PB&J. It's one o'clock. The oatmeal is now 6 hours old (and I made it with milk, not water). I could really use something else to eat. I don't have anything else to eat. I don't have enough money to go buy a candy bar or better yet, a sandwich.

I finish getting my preparation done for my afternoon class. I'm really quite hungry. It's now 2:30. That oatmeal isn't really that old.

I break into the oatmeal.

I eat about a quarter of it. It's like eating cold glue. I probably could have got something better from the dumpster out behind the Burger King. I dump the rest in the trash and go teach.

So I tell you this to explain how a package of pudding found its way into my shopping cart a few hours later when I stop at the grocery store on the way home. (I was there to buy the yogurt that Kerryn had recommended.)


You know it's going to be nasty. I know it's going to be nasty. But I'm kind of pissed off and feeling entitled. So I buy it ($0.48) and take it home.

Still no sign of the egg.

Kandie announces that she has had enough, and will make her own dinner tonight.

Fine. What do I want?

G*%@*m it, I want potato pancakes.


Potato pancakes are made from left over potatoes in my house. I know the proper German way is to grind up the potatoes and all kinds of other stuff. That's not how I learned to do it. Cuz, well, I'm not German.

So I make up some mashed potatoes, add an egg, some milk, and some cheese.


I start some onions sauteeing in canola...


and fry the pancakes...


top them off with the onions and oil...


This is actually pretty good ($0.50). I'm feeling pretty full. But now it's time for the pudding.


It tastes vaguely like bananas, if bananas were grainy and sugary. But hey, there's a cup of milk in there ($0.43). I threw away the second helping. I'll make some homemade next time.

So that's the day. Here's all the data:

breakfast
oatmeal  $ 0.10
milk  $ 0.19
banana  $ 0.15
lunch
bread  $ 0.08
peanut butter  $ 0.05
jelly  $ 0.03
dinner
potato pancakes  $ 0.50
snack
bread  $ 0.04
pudding mix  $ 0.24
milk  $ 0.19
tums  $ 0.04

total:                     $1.62
calories:               1,278

The calories caught me by surprise. I didn't realize it until late last night when I finalized my Loseit input. No wonder I was grumpy. But as you can see from above, there wasn't much choice in the matter. Once I ate dinner, I wasn't really that hungry, so I didn't have anything else for the night.

Rounding out the triad -

Exercise - after I ate the pancakes, I wound up deciding I needed to go to the gym. Since it was pretty quick after dinner, I just did some hill climbing and stairmaster. But 600 calories worth.

Sleep - I got about 7 hours going in to day 14. Not that bad.

The egg was never found. I'm really hoping it didn't roll under a seat in my car. I guess I'll know for sure in a couple of days.

No comments:

Post a Comment