Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Day 7 - You want calcium? We got calcium!

Kerryn wants me to eat calcium, so tonight was all about calcium. How's that? Big bowl o' cheese and sour cream.


What for?


Let me introduce you to the Cheese and Sour Cream Delivery System (C&SCDS for short).


When I was a kid, mashed potatoes were one of my favorite foods. Tonight's (32 oz of potato - $0.80) were made with 4 oz of shredded cheddar ($0.94), 4 oz of sour cream ($0.32), and yes, 1/2 C of skim milk ($0.10). Total cost: $2.16.

I ate half ($1.08). Kandie ate about half of half.

Some frozen mixed veges on the side (4 oz each, $0.24)...


A little Frank's on the veges to get them down ($0.01), and that was dinner. 

Total cost: $1.33
Total calories: 676

So that's a bit backwards, but breakfast was 

coffee                         $0.13
banana                       $0.15
wheat bread (2.6 oz)  $0.08
peanut butter (0.7 oz) $0.08
total                            $0.43

calories: 486

Lunch was the last of the blackeyed pea dish ($0.73) from Day 2 and some brown rice ($0.03) for a total of $0.77, and 309 calories.

I was thinking about the calcium shortfall in my diet, and it occurred to me that Tums has calcium. We had a bottle in the cabinet, so I checked - and sure enough, 2 Tums gives you 600mg of calcium - about 60% of the daily recommended amount. 


So I stopped by HEB and picked up a bottle of their antacid (same dose of calcium). The tablets are $0.019 each. Two are $0.038. A calcium supplement with the same amount of calcium was $0.09 each. Unless this is a bad way to get calcium, I'll start taking these.

A little frustration this morning I want to share - I got back from the gym this morning and decided I would take the last of the blackeyed peas, but realized I didn't have any rice. Getting the rice cooked delayed my leaving by about 20 minutes. Luckily I have a flexible work schedule - but it was a hassle. 

And tonight at about 9 PM I realized I am out of bread. As a result I have some dough rising right now and will be up till 11:30 baking it so that I have bread for tomorrow.

Day 7 Totals:

Total cost: $2.71
Total calories: 1,554

Calories may sound low, but with that big bowl of C&SCDS, I'm pretty happy right now. Actually, I was just telling Kandie that I've been surprised by how satisfied I've been on this diet. Normally when I'm dieting, I'm kind of grumpy and miserable all the time because I'm ready to start gnawing on my left arm. But I haven't felt that way on the $3 diet. 

Anyway, rounding out the Triad - sleep: about 7.5 hours last night; exercise: 25 minutes of hill climbing on the treadmill for 360 calories, 40 minutes of weight lifting for 122 calories (calorie estimate from loseit.com).

No comments:

Post a Comment