Monday, January 6, 2014

Day 4: pizza = happiness


Heather recommended I try mixing peanut butter into my oatmeal, so that's how I started Day 4 - adding in 0.4 oz of peanut butter into my oatmeal. It added some flavor, which was nice. I had a banana and coffee as well, for a total of $0.43, and approximately 427 calories.


On Saturday night I went to Wal-Mart with Kandie and shopped around the grocery section to see if I could find any better prices than I had found at the HEB. I was somewhat surprised to find that I did not. I did scope out a 2 lb bag of mixed vegetables for $2 - giving me a medley of vegetables for about $0.0625/ounce. In the past when I've been going hard on dieting, I've bought cans of mixed vegetables - usually peas and corn - and eaten the whole can with just some Frank's. The vegetables give you a lot of volume without too many calories, so it's a way to stave off being hungry and get some decent nutrition (less the sodium I suppose). Since I knew Kerryn was watching, I decided I would try frozen. The price for frozen appears to actually be less than canned - I priced a can of pees and corn at $0.0906/oz, making it almost 50% more expensive. And I assume frozen doesn't have the extra sodium and might even retain more nutrients.


For lunch I had that bowl of veges with some Frank's, a no-name brand Bratwurst, and some brown rice. Basically fast food. Total cost was $1.00 - 

rice                 $0.07
veges, 6 oz     $0.37
bratwurst         $0.55

total calories: 565



During the day I decided to make spaghetti sauce just to have it on hand. I made about 56 oz, for a total cost of $4.46, or $0.08/oz. My sauce recipe is here if you want it: http://recalcitrantegg.blogspot.com/2009/02/calzone-recipe.html

I needed the sauce because I was craving pizza! I made my own dough (the basic bread recipe works for dough), used my own sauce, but used the no-name brand mozzarella.


Total cost for the pizza was $1.22, and you know what? I ate the whole thing.

Total calories for dinner: 781

I also had three cups of tea over the course of the day. Drinking it black to cut down on sugar.

I spent an hour shopping at HEB on Sunday (after the hour on Saturday at Wal-Mart), strategizing food. Having to come up with sort of nutritious, low calorie, low cost foods is perhaps more challenging than I anticipated.

I didn't get much exercise on Sunday - did some housecleaning.

Sleep was normal, maybe a bit more - about 7.5 hours.

Final counts:

Total cost for day: $2.77
Total calories: 1,773

1 comment:

  1. From what I understand, frozen veggies are better for us than canned ones b/c they often lack salt and other preservatives. For this reason I try not to buy canned ones unless the frozen or fresh version isn't available. As a whole, frozen veggies are pretty cheap and I think they taste better than canned ones. Sometimes the frozen ones have more servings.

    I know protein can be pricey, but have you thought about adding more protein to your diet? Mark and I find it keeps us fuller substantially longer than veggies, fruits, or starches. He often snacks on peanut butter right out of the jar w/a tablespoon. Eating tuna fish mixed w/relish and mayo (assuming you like that combo) is another cheap protein dish/snack.

    ReplyDelete