Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Day 13: 15 beans!

Day 13 did not begin well because of sleep. Due to procrastination, I didn't finish my preparations for my teaching today until after midnight, and I woke up around six, so probably less than six hours of sleep, which leaves me grumpy.

First thing, I loaded Dot up with the beans, green bell pepper, onions, ham, and some salt, pepper, and garlic powder.



For breakfast I decided to follow Kerryn's original recommendation on the oatmeal and made it with milk. I also reduced my serving to 1/2 cup of oatmeal, rather than the 3/4 I had been using. I have to admit, it's much more pleasant with milk. I might keep doing that. I mixed in a teaspoon of brown sugar. I also had a boiled egg and coffee.

Boiled eggs are convenient since you can boil them and they last a couple of days. Makes for quick morning provisions. I don't mind eating them cold.

oatmeal  $ 0.15
milk  $ 0.19
coffee  $ 0.13
hard boiled eggs  $ 0.16
brown sugar  $ 0.01
total:                      $0.64

I worked for a while after breakfast, then took the dog for a long slow walk to do some thinking about my material for class. We only walked about 2 miles, but we were out for about 45 minutes (Loseit says that's worth about 168 calories).

Lunch was the other half of the sesame peanut noodles. I was a little tense about teaching, so I didn't eat it all.

I taught from 1-6, and man I was ready to sit down. I don't think I've ever lectured for five hours without a break (I mean like a break where you could sit down and have a cup of coffee at least and relax). I was tired by the time I got to the end. The students were tired of me, too. I was tired of me.

Kandie had a meeting so I didn't get to eat till about 8:30 tonight. I had one of the last pieces of corn bread ($0.09) left while I waited. 

When she got home we had the 15 bean soup. Pretty good. I think the ham I bought gave it something of a metalic taste. I'm going to try to make it without ham next time and see if I like it better. I had quite a bit of the soup - I estimate about 1/3 of the pot - so the total was $1.09 for dinner.

After dinner I had some tea and a slice of the fresh basic bread ($0.04) that I had just pulled out of the oven with some HEB grape jelly ($0.03).

Total for the day: $2.26
Total Calories:     1689

Rounding out the triad:

sleep - as mentioend, poor - probably less than 6 hours.

exercise - the nice walk with the dog, 5 hours of standing and walking around a classroom. Not sure how to count that, but I'm tired.

No comments:

Post a Comment