Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Day 6: a little better

Today has gone better. I'm feeling more of the rhythm of it.

Started the day with a peanut butter sandwich on two slices of my homemade wheat bread. I cut myself generous chunks of bread - about 3.3 oz - or $0.10 worth. I put about two tablespoons of peanut butter on them - $0.16. Topped it off with a banana and coffee - $0.15 and $0.13.

Breakfast total: $0.55.
Total calories: 575

Bread packs a wallop. I didn't realize wheat flour had more calories than white. Also, I enriched the bread with canola oil, so that added significantly to the calorie count.

Lunch was the left over Crouching Macaroni, Hidden Squash that I had meant to eat yesterday.

Lunch total: $0.42
Total calories: 400

I ate a banana on the way home from work ($0.015 - I had meant to eat it as a snack during the day, but got busy). When I got home, I cut myself another slice of bread (1 oz - about $0.03).

Dinner was pretty good. I had bought a head of cabbage thinking I might make a cole slaw (or is that "some cole slaw"?).


At $0.25/lb, cabbage is wicked cheap.

Kandie went online and found this Rachel Ray recipe for oil and vinegar cole slaw: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/rachael-ray/oil-and-vinegar-slaw-recipe/index.html


Total cost for the cole slaw was about $0.30. I really enjoyed it. Probably because there was so much sugar in it. I would probably cut the sugar in half next time. It would still make a sweet and tangy side.

For the main dish, I stir fried the frozen veges I bought on Sunday:


I made some homemade teriyaki sauce - basically

1/4 C soy
1 tbsp worcestershire
1 tbsp brown sugar
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp ginger


Quite good, as my lovely hand model demonstrates (actually, she's just a thumb model - she doesn't do whole hand shots any more).

Dinner was rather pricey - it's good I went into it with plenty of room to spare in the budget.

chicken  $ 0.62
frozen vegetables  $0.61
soy sauce 2 tbsp  $0.13
brown sugar 1/2 tbsp  $0.02
ginger 1/4 tsp  $0.01
worcestershire sauce  $0.06
garlic powder  $0.01
canola oil 1.5 tbsp  $0.04
rice  $0.03
cabbage  $0.11
red wine vinegar  $0.05
sugar  $0.01
total:                                                    $1.69

total calories: 652

It feels good to be full. And I think the cabbage helped a lot with that. I'll probably have more of that cole slaw in the future (with less sugar).

For desert, I had a cup of tea (HEB brand, $0.02), another slice of bread ($0.03), and a table spoon of grape jelly ($0.025).

Total spending for the day: $2.94

Total calories: 1,933

Rounding out the performance triad:

Sleep: last night got a decent night's sleep - about 7 hours.

Exercise: a bust today. Was going to go for a run, but got distracted, then it was too late. And really, it's wicked cold here, considering it's Texas. I'll try to get some exercise in tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment