Sunday, January 12, 2014

Day 11: Eggs-actly!

Weird weather in Texas here today - morning looked up and positive as I was getting ready for church - blue skies, sun shining.

I decided to boil some eggs - some for today, some for the next day or two.



I only wound up eating one egg because I also gave in to the temptation of some more corn bread. The corn bread is almost gone, which is probably a good thing.

Breakfast therefore was:

boiled egg  $ 0.15
corn bread  $ 0.09
coffee  $ 0.13
sugar  $ 0.01
total                                $ 0.37

calories: 375

By the time we came out of church, the sky had clouded over and things were positively gloomy.

We came home and my youngest daughter and I put together a white bread.

flour 3.5 C  $ 0.41
yeast  $ 0.27
canola oil, 1/4 cup  $ 0.10
skim milk 1 C  $ 0.19
sugar 2 TBSP  $ 0.01
salt  $ 0.01
total  $ 1.00
cost per ounce  $ 0.04
calories per oz                  79

I had about an ounce ($0.04) when it finally came out of the oven. 

Lunch was $3 diet fast food - a chicken and frozen vegetable stir fry.

chicken  $ 0.34
stir fry vegetables  $ 0.40
rice  $ 0.03
soy  $ 0.06
worcestershire  $ 0.03
canola oil  $ 0.03
brown sugar  $ 0.01
spices  $ 0.01
total                               $ 0.91

calories                          447

I was still hungry after lunch, so I had another piece of corn bread ($0.09; 198 calories).

After lunch, the clouds blew away and it warmed up considerably outside. I went for a long, slow job (about 4.5 miles) with the dog and really enjoyed the sunshine. I was thinking of all of you up north, since I was in my shorts and t-shirt. 

For dinner we had the Egg and Cheddar Strata Kerryn had recommended. 


We used some of the white bread my daughter and I had baked in the morning for the base.


Eggs, of course.


With the amount of cheese that goes into this, I half expected Kerryn to suggest a large milk shake on the side! 

The eggs were light and fluffy, and everything blended well together. It didn't have a lot of flavor. I forgot the worcestershire, so that didn't help, but even so, I think maybe some green chilies or olives would have been nice. I put Frank's on it, which works with everything, and pretty much makes everything taste better. 

Egg and Cheddar Strata
bread  $ 0.19
cheese  $ 1.76
onion  $ 0.28
spinach  $ 0.58
4 eggs  $ 0.63
milk  $ 0.19
total  $ 3.63
per serving  $ 0.91
I had a cup of tea with dinner ($0.02), so dinner cost was $0.94 (an extra penny for the Frank's).

Calories: 442

After dinner I ate a little more of the white bread, and later had a banana.

Total cost for the day: $2.56
Total calories:               1,688

Rounding out the triad: 

Exercise: 4.5 miles, at an airborne shuffle (that's Army for "slow") - about 569 calories; 30 minutes of sweeping and mopping - 103 calories.

Sleep: about 7.5 hours. But Kandie was banging around getting ready in the morning, so that last half hour doesn't really count.

No comments:

Post a Comment