Thursday, January 30, 2014

Day 28: not too late

I just wasn't in the mood for oatmeal this morning, so I had a banana ($0.15) with my coffee ($0.13), and made a peanut butter sandwich mid-morning (bread $0.03; PB $0.05). Before I went to the gym I had a slice of wheat bread ($0.03). So breakfast was basically $0.39.

I worked from home in the morning, so I was able to bake some sweet potatoes. These took longer than I expected - about 70 minutes - but when they were finally done, they were excellent. I sprinkled just a bit of cinnamon and sugar on top and ate it right out of the skin (12.6 oz, $0.44, plus about $0.01 for the cinnamon and sugar).



I had a side of the southwest macaroni salad (that recipe made a lot) - 6 oz for $0.21.

While I was teaching in the afternoon I had a banana ($0.15) as a snack.

Dinner was nice -I had bought a second plantain ($0.44) last week, and it was still good, but starting to turn, so I chopped it up and fried it in a teaspoon of canola oil ($0.01).



Frying them really brings out the sugar. I served it with some left over brown rice ($0.05) and a bratwurst ($0.50).


In the evening I had some yogurt (6 oz, $0.37) a pickle ($0.14), and some tea ($0.02). I forgot to take my supplement.

Reflecting on the day's nutrition, I felt like I had done a pretty good job incorporating some affordable fruits and vegetables. I'm starting to see how I could plan for the higher cost of those ingredients later in the day. Something simple for breakfast like oatmeal or a peanut butter sandwich, and save the fresh stuff for later.

Total cost for the day:       $2.69
Total calories for the day: 1,816

Rounding out the Triad -

Exercise: Stairmaster for about 35 minutes and 457 cal, elliptical for about 22 minutes or 255 cal, and as I was walking out of the gym I saw my boss on the treadmill, so I got up on the treadmill next to him and we had a walking/jogging meeting for about 25 minutes or 145 cal. Total calorie burn for the day: 857

Sleep: Good - about 7 hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment