Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Day 19: it's like a big ol' banana

I had a bit of an allergy attack on the evening of Day 18, so I didn't sleep well for lack of breathing, as a result, waking up on Day 19 I really didn't have a lot of energy. I splurged a bit on breakfast and made myself a western omelet with 2 eggs, onion, pepper, and potatoes. Coffee with a bit of sugar, too.

onion  $ 0.13
pepper  $ 0.08
potato  $ 0.14
oil  $ 0.01
egg 2  $ 0.31
coffee  $ 0.13
tums  $ 0.04
sugar  $ 0.01
total:                           $ 0.85

Lunch was the last of the left over chicken pot pie ($0.64).

I had never heard of plantains until I went to Officer Basic here in San Antonio back in the early 90's. I shared a kitchen with a guy who was in the Puerto Rican National Guard. One night I found him chopping up what looked like a big ol' banana. Turns out it wasn't a banana at all, but a plantain. He told me a bunch of different ways to cook them - I like to fry them in a little oil until they're soft as a side dish. But the day I first saw them, he was making plantains and beans. Which is what I decided to make for dinner.


Cooked plantains have a meaty quality to them - they are not soft like a banana - so they work well in a vegetarian dish like this as a meat substitute.


This was a pretty good meal. I really liked the spices the recipe used.


I used pinto beans instead of black beans - I think any bean works.

pinto beans (6.7 oz)  $ 0.34
plantain  $ 0.43
onion  $ 0.38
canola oil  $ 0.03
spices  $ 0.03
total  $ 1.20

The recipe made about 3 servings - so $0.40 each. Serve this over brown rice ($0.03), and tapioca for desert ($0.32) - dinner total: $0.76.

Snacks:
tea  $ 0.02
bread  $ 0.03
corn bread  $ 0.10
peanut butter  $ 0.05
pickle  $ 0.14
total:                           $ 0.34

Day cost total:           $2.60
Day calories:             2,056

As you can see, this was one of my highest calorie days, and I still had plenty of money left over.

Rounding out the triad:

Exercise: Nothing, I felt crappy. I did walk around the grocery store for a bit, scoping out prices. I really must look like a fool when I stand in an aisle checking the prices of canned beans for 10 minutes.

Sleep: Crappy. It added up to about 7.5 hours, but punctuated by lots of wakefulness because I couldn't breathe.

No comments:

Post a Comment