Saturday, January 18, 2014

Day 17: Kale, Kale, and more Kale

Started the day with a fresh pan of cornbread that I mentioned earlier, and some coffee. And my Tums for calcium (Kerryn - still not sure if using those every day is a bad thing).

coffee  $ 0.13
sugar  $ 0.01
corn bread  $ 0.10
tums  $ 0.04
total                          $0.28

I decided to try Kerryn's bratwurst and kale soup for lunch (recipe here). 


I'm still a little suspicious of kale. I wish when I looked at a big pile of kale that my mouth watered and I thought "ooh - yum." Maybe it will grow on me.


I threw a whole bunch of the kale in to the soup. I'm not used to cooking with it yet, but what I realized was I probably should have waited for it to soften more before I added the potatoes. By the time the kale was ready, the potatoes were quite soft.


Nevertheless, with some cayenne pepper sprinkled on top, this made a pretty thick soup. 

Brat and kale soup:

bratwurst  $ 1.17
potato  $ 0.71
kale  $ 0.98
onion  $ 0.46
garlic  $ 0.10
 $ 3.32
I estimate I ate about 1/5 of it - or about $0.66 worth. With a chunk of bread on the side ($0.07), lunch was $0.73 total.

Dinner was left over unstuffed cabbage - $0.94, and tea ($0.02).

Snacks through the course of the day totaled up to $0.65.

bread 1.2 oz  $ 0.03
banana  $ 0.15
cornbread  $ 0.10
yogurt  $ 0.37
Day total:           $2.62
Total calories:    1,723

Rounding out the triad -

Kandie and I walked our 4.5 mile running route with the dog - it took us about 65 minutes, which is about 384 calories for me according to Loseit.

Sleep last night was about 7 hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment