Saturday, January 11, 2014

Day 9: No beans

Day 9 started with my weighing in at 189.7 pounds. That's about a 9 pound drop in 9 days. Pretty cool.

Breakfast was a banana, oatmeal with frozen blueberries and a bit of sugar, coffee.

banana  $ 0.15
oatmeal, 3/4 cup uncooked  $ 0.15
sugar, 2 tsp  $ 0.01
frozen blueberries, 1.3 oz  $ 0.21
coffee  $ 0.13
total                                       $0.64

calories: 357

I ate the oatmeal at home, the banana about mid morning.

Lunch was one of my favorite recipes - sesame peanut noodles.


I got this recipe from the American Heart Association Cookbook (5th ed). It's really simple:

1/3 C Peanut Butter
1 tbsp sesame oil (I only used 1/2 tbsp because sesame oil is about $0.26/tbsp - really expensive)
2 tsp cider vinegar
1 tbsp chopped scallions (I used maybe 1/2 tbsp dried)
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
2 C cooked spghetti (I actually used 6 oz dry - quite a bit more than 2 C)

basically just mix everything together and you're done.

The thing I am pleased about is I used half real spaghetti, and half whole wheat-imposter spaghetti. I have to say, I still think wheat pasta tastes like it's made from wood shavings. But mixed half and half with the real thing, plus the awesome flavor of this dish, I really didn't notice.


cost estimate for two servings ran

sesame peanut noodles
peanut butter 1/3 C  $ 0.29
sesame oil 1/2 tbsp  $ 0.13
vinegar 2 tsp  $ 0.01
dried scallions  $ 0.02
red pepper  $ 0.01
spaghetti 3 oz  $ 0.05
spaghetti, wheat, 3 oz  $ 0.20
total  $ 0.71
so each serving was about $ 0.35
calories: 581

I had one serving for lunch and have the other in the fridge.

Dinner was a bit of a fail. I started soaking some pinto beans in the morning because I didn't get them ready the night before. I thought I would get home early on Friday, but didn't get home until about 6PM, so cooking beans for two hours would have had us eating at 8, which wasn't really acceptable. So I switched gears and went with a basic western omelet. Or what I call a western omelet, which is a bunch of vegetables and meat with some egg.


Ingredients:

western
eggs   $ 0.31
green pepper  $ 0.17
onion  $ 0.25
ham  $ 0.47
potato  $ 0.27
red pepper  $ 0.01
oil  $ 0.03
 $ 1.50
I start by frying the potatoes in the oil until they are about half done. Then I add the onions and turn down the heat to let them start to carmelize just a bit. When I judge onions an potatoes are almost done, I throw in the ham and pepper. I add some chili powder and cumin at that point. When the peppers are softened, that's the time to add the eggs. 


I get the eggs cooking, then stir it all around. Sorry - I forgot to get a finished shot - I was weighing the servings and got distracted. Basically a pile of spicy goodness. I make these for breakfast on the weekends a fair amount because it does take time.

Along with the omelet, I had the left over cole slaw from the night before. 

Kandie and I split this, so dinner was $0.75.

Calories: 459

For snacks I had two servings of bread in the evening, one with peanut butter. And my serving of two Tums calcium. And some tea.

Snacks: 0.14
Calories: 248

Day 9 total: 2.32
Calories: 1647

Rounding out the Triad:
Exercise: 

ran 2 miles on the treadmill - 237 calories
walked about 5 minutes - 30 calories
stairmaster 30 minutes - 316 calories

Sleep: about 7 hours

No comments:

Post a Comment